Mike currently serves as Vice President of Mobile & WebSphere solutions for IBM. In this role he leads all the marketing for IBM’s mobile and web products across 182 countries.
Previously Mike was IBM’s Vice-President of ISVs, Startups and Academic Programs where he led the business development and marketing for all of IBM’s partnerships with software companies, startups and universities around the world. He has over eighteen years of experience in the high-tech industry driving break through innovations, top line revenue growth and client satisfaction. Mike also served as Vice-President of Sales for IBM’s Business Continuity Services unit. In this role he lead sales globally to advise clients on the operational and information based risks their firms face, and the strategies required to protect their firms and ensure success for the long-term.
Mike also served as the IBM Vice-President/CEO of Arsenal Digital Solutions, which he was appointed to in 2007 as IBM acquired Arsenal Digital. As CEO, Mike led the global expansion to more than twenty countries, and led the efforts to deliver on the company’s mission of becoming the leading provider of cloud based information protection services globally.
During his career, Mike has held a variety of leadership roles that have included marketing, product management, sales, mergers and acquisition and general management roles in software, hardware and services. He and his teams have been recognized with many of the industry’s highest awards for marketing and innovation including –
- The Association of Strategic Alliances – Alliance Excellence Program Award – for creation of the best new alliance and partnership practice in the global IT industry.
- The AMI Partners 2010 Social Media Award, and the 2010 Forrester Groundswell Award for Best in Class Social Media Community Development and Excellence.
- VarBusiness Tech Innovators Award for break through product innovation and accomplishment leading IBM’s Managed Services business.
- IT Services Marketing Association Award for Brand and Reputation Management – for creating the breakthrough concept, strategy and campaign on utility computing and on demand business.
- American Advertising Federation ADDY Award for best B2B Direct Marketing campaign of the year.
Mike has been a featured speaker at events around the world covering topics as diverse as mobile innovation and transformation, marketing and branding strategies, channel development, innovation and business strategy, risk management, business transformation, leadership and change management, sustainable cities, Linux and open-source trends, software and cloud-based business models, and social media marketing. He has been featured in Businessweek magazine and he was recently profiled in Forbes India for his work in leading IBM’s programs with startups and venture capital firms.
Prior to joining IBM, Mike worked at InterAmerica Technologies, a privately held software firm in McLean, Virginia. He also worked briefly as an economic advisor in the United States Congress. In addition to his role at IBM, he has served on the Board of Trustees for Saint Anselm College, and is on the Board of Directors for the Software & Information Industry Association.
Mike received an MBA from the University of Notre Dame (Magna Cum Laude) and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Politics from Saint Anselm College.
Most importantly Mike is the proud husband of Liz and father of Sarah, Mark and Megan Riegel. One of the latest family photos from this past summer (in Maine!) is below!